Sunday, March 16, 2008

International Day for Women...


Travis has promised a "skype" date soon to celebrate "his" international woman (me), but this celebration last Saturday was actually intended to celebrate all women world wide.
Cedepca hosted the celebration and the women gathered: from young to old, from indigenous to gringas like myself, from all economic brackets and denominations. It was also the international day of prayer so we combined the celebrations with awareness of women's rights, and the struggles that still exist in Guatemala, along with prayer for women in this country and around the world.
I was asked to lead a brief Bible study with a small group of women during the morning, and was awed by how open they were with their lives and stories. They shared powerful stories of not only empowerment as women, but empowerment through love... learning to forgive husbands who had left them, men who had robbed them... in order to live in love.I must admit that I had not been entirely looking forward to the event, but it ended up lifting my spirit and reminding me of the power of the love of God to remind women of the value they have, and how to love others who do not honor or recognize that value. It was fun!

No comments: