Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Happy Birthday Nernie!

Happy Birthday Nernie! It was wonderful to talk with you today! (She will probably not be pleased when she discovers that I have put her photo here. However, today is her 89th birthday, which deserves a resounding "Happy Birthday" from Guatemala!) One of many things that amazes me about my grandmother is her youthful heart and incredible desire and devotion to learning... she's never stopped. She emails regularly, plays Internet games and of course she had been to see my blog! I appreciate her whimsical honesty, humor, affection, and strength. The reminder that she was raising a toddler and pregnant with her second as she waved her husband off to war, is humbling to me when I complain about a long distance engagement (with all the conveniences of modern technology!). I can only hope I am a "with it" and wonderful if I reach 89 as she is today! So I must take this opportunity to celebrate Nernie, as one of many amazing women in my life, for whom I am so grateful!

No comments: