Monday, October 15, 2007

Soy professora... (?!)

Well... I found out a few key reasons why I am not registered for classes at CEDEPCA. I had understood that I was coming here in mid-October to begin a new semester or quarter of classes alongside other students at CEDEPCA. But, in fact, they are in the middle of a semester right now that will end Nov. 21st. So rather than taking classes this semester as I had expected... I'll be teaching one (or trying to)! When I arrived at CEDEPCA today Judith invited me into her office after a brief orientation of the school. She informed me that Veronica who has been teaching the New Testament class, has been very ill and in the hospital for a week or two now, and will not be able to return soon. She had discovered that I have a masters degree in theology (rather than bachelor) and asked me to begin teaching on Wednesday! I was then directed to the "Salon de professoras y professores" which I had seen earlier in passing, and showed me my own desk complete with a new notebook, teaching materials for the class, books, tape, stapler, sticky notes, a calculator... and all sorts of other "teaching materials" to ensure my success on Wednesday! I did explain that my Spanish is not up to par for teaching, (which she knew at that point) but she simply said she would accompany me on Wednesday to explain the situation to the students... assumedly before leaving me with them. :) So I have much reading to do between now and then... I'm off to brush up on the Synoptic Gospels.

2 comments:

Travis said...

So good to hear! You'll be great in the classroom with many minds in the making. How will you be called? Professor Dumler? Rev. Dumler? The future Mrs. Winckler-Dumler? The Rev.-Professor-future Mrs. Winckler-Dumler? :)

David Hallgren said...

Hola Profesora,
Awesome!! you will do great. I hope you learn a lot. you are certainly adding wonderful experiences in guatemala.
vayas con dios amiga,
DH